Thursday, March 24, 2005

Stanley Sadie

Am I the last to hear the news that Stanley Sadie died on Monday? This is very sad. If I were living in San Francisco, I would SO be throwing a "Stanley Sadie" memorial party, where we all go around the room reading out our favorite passages from the New Grove. I call dibs on "Mode"...

[For those for whom this is meaningless, Sadie edited the massive New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, the standard musical reference work that quite literally changed musicology forever.]

Perhaps I could make it a "Stanley Sadie Hawkins" party, where the girls would have to ask the boys to read from the New Grove.

It was rainy in Paris today, but still nice.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite is still the smushed-together neoclassical/ethnomusicological slogan/command on the spine of Vol. 2 (1981 edition):

"Back to Bolivia!"



and also the guide-words on the spine of vol. 12:

"Meares to Mutis"

I always thought that if I ever needed to forge a phony ancient music treatise (the need hasn't yet arisen, but I'm certain it will), I would attribute it to "Mearus Tumutus"

...but I'm dumb.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Stanley Sadie Hawkins thing is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I'll try and be just a little bit sad though I didn't know who he was until yesterday. G

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home