Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I paid $20 for a cocktail

What will I do without J—, my American friend? His visa being up, he's heading back to Californ-i-ay on Saturday (coïncidentally, the date of the royal wedding). At some point during our last night of drinking last night, he said to me, "well, now you'll have to actually make British friends." He may be right.

In any case, we had a lovely evening, beginning at a pub that serves Thai food, and ending at an impossibly upscale cocktail bar where the drinks cost a minimum of £9. I got a sazerac, served in a huge, chilled snifter rinsed in absinthe rather than pernod. Delish. For the second round I had a neat reposado tequila alongside an absurdly elaborate sangrita (containing, for example, pomegranate seeds). Is it clear in the picture on the website that there is a hippopotamus head hanging on the wall?

Let's see... other news. I saw a very good movie, along with a Williams professor. A professor that I never took a class from, but I knew nonetheless, because he is gay. (Confidential to G: this was S's mentor at Williams. You can mention this to him, if the two of you start speaking to each other again.)

I watched 50 Greatest British Comedy Sketches on Channel 4 Sunday night. Just about every weekend Channel 4 has some "50 greatest..." or "50 worst..." or "100 most embarrassing..." three- or four-hour special on. Yes, it is unconscionably lazy programming on Channel 4's part, but it remains a fantastic education for me. Like for instance, on Sunday I learned that the British have some seriously fucked up sketch comedy. Of those on the list, "Good AIDS/Bad AIDS" had my jaw on the floor, "The Slobs (Brown Baby)" had me rolling on the floor, and "Masterchef" had me doubting the sanity of the entire British race.

I've finally begun writing again, although today was a slow day. As I am consistently reminded, however, it's about consistency. It's like jogging.

It does not help one bit when I receive an email which causes me to waste about 2 hours looking at satellite images of houses I've lived in. (Gee, thanks a lot, M.) In case you're interested, which of course you are not, unless you are a blood-relative, here are:

Newport, RI (age 7-11)
Monterey, CA (age 15-17)
Whidbey Island, WA (age 1-5)
San Francisco, CA (age 25-26)

Zoom in! Scroll around seamlessly with the mouse! I love you, Google.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

E in Japan sez: That sounds like some lovely cocktails. So, OK, on the off-chance I win free tickets to Britain (in the vague realm of possibility since I will be submitting a lesson plan to a contest where the grand prize is two tickets to London), will you buy me a drink at this bar? :D Please?! The one that comes with an incredibly sexy man who will stroke my hair and elbow for the entire duration of my drink, and then just disappear into thin air after I've finished drinking? Yeah, that one. Dig deep honey.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home