Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Vertigo

Okay, I just posted, but this deserved a separate entry.

1. Click here.

2. Be sure "Satellite" and not "Map" is selected.

3. Zoom all the way in.

Can you see? Can you see that this satellite image was clearly taken on the day of the Castro Street Fair? There are white-roofed tents all the way down to Castro and 19th? And there is a great throng of people in the street, especially at Market and Castro, where you can actually make out the temporary stage on the west side of the intersection.

This is making my head spin.

When, exactly, was this picture taken? It had to be 2002 or earlier, because the Octavia Blvd freeway off-ramp is still standing, and that was demolished in April 2003. Could it possibly have been taken Sunday, 6 October 2002? Which was the day I went to the fair with the now long-forgotten Stephen-with-a-PH(-but-with-no-PhD), whom I had met a week earlier at the Boy Scout-themed GQB? The fair at which I was invited, later in the afternoon, to the most debauched barbecue in history? If you squint hard enough, can you see being invited to this barbecue by one half of SF's famously lecherous club-promoting power couple?

The satellite image is clearly supposed to provide an reference image, abstracted from the ravages of time! I think I might only be able to look at the "maps" section from now on... there's only so much fear and trembling before my own mortality I can take from my web-based applications.

UPDATE! FEBRUARY 2006: They've changed the picture and it no longer shows the Castro Street Fair. Oh Well. You'll have to take my word for it. It was weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home