Saturday, January 07, 2006

A short list of things in Seattle which remind me of London

[Pictures to be added later, if I get around to it, which I probably won't]

1. The Coliseum. Alas, not the home of opera in English, but rather an old movie palace, which has been converted into a very large Banana Republic.

2. The Paul Smith section of the Seattle branch of Barney's. (On an unrelated note, how is it that Seattle gets a Barney's before SF does? Isn't that a little odd?)

3. A British Affaire. Allow me to quote the website, which appears to be down at the moment: "Foods, Teas and Fine China from Great Britain For the Little Bit O'Brit in All of Us." It is in the same mall as Barney's. It sells HP sauce. And salad cream.

4. The Elephant and Castle Pub. They sell "the Welsh Burger." Are they aware of the area of London they are named after? One suspects not.

EDIT: 5. The steel and glass canopy that covers part of Pike Street by the Convention Center looks, from certain angles, like Canary Wharf DLR station.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect I don't know what part of London it's named after either. Do tell, enquiring noggins wantin' to know. If you don't want to bore everyone, i'm at gmail now, with email nom de plume the same as my blog name. -Emarrificster

1:04 AM  
Blogger Grrg said...

Yo E -- Elephant and Castle is an area in South London famous for its urban squalor. Its population is predominantly black. It is dominated by depressing concrete housing projects, and a huge, decrepit mall which readers of Timre Out London voted "London's Ugliest Building" in 2005. You can see images of the neighborhood in the music video for Madonna's "Hung Up," as readers of the Londonist explained to me here. (That links to one of my personal favorite L'ist posts ever, btw)

7:24 AM  
Blogger Grrg said...

Mister Moriarity! You got a blog! You BETTER write in it, girl. Regularly! I'm serious, if you don't I'm gonna be mad.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home