Friday, January 14, 2005

Busy Days

So, I got the UCHRI fellowship app all submitted, and the AMS 50 will be basically ready to go tonight. A whole day early, people! This is a big deal for me, although it hardly makes up for not getting the Mabel McLeod in at all. But I hate the Mabel McLeod people. They are stupid-heads. That fellowship was probably bitter-tasting anyway.

So I went to see my first archivist today, at the Royal Academy of Music. She was very nice, and I found some things, including two pictures of Garcia that I'd never seen before. One of these was in the over-illustrated Parisian monthly Musica, accompanying an article titled "Les Larynx Célèbres." Sometimes I really like my dissertation topic.

In the middle of the day I saw a free concert at the Royal Academy, featuring students under the direction of the period violinist Catherine Mackintosh. They played Mozart, Haydn, and CPE Bach. It was okay. The (natural) horns were really, shockingly bad.

It's time to vote, gentle readers! Should I pay £20 to attend a Williams Alumni function? It is a dinner with the president of the college, whom everyone loves but always strikes me as a bit of clown, and it takes place at The Royal Air Force Club. There is a formal dress code. Some of you may know that the last time there was a Williams Alumni function, it was free, and I went by myself and drank to excess, and insulted strangers. Well, not really insulted, I guess. Anyway, I think I really want to go, but for all the wrong reasons. Did I mention that the invitation says "heavy hors d'oeuvres and open bar"? Okay, actually, you don't get to vote... I'm definitely going.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I vote yes, go to the function.
Here's the small print though: I have NEVER and will NEVER go to any Hampshire College functions no matter where it is or who is there. it could be in my living room and i would still not go. That said, I'd definitely attend any Amherst College function, and I was only marginally a student there.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home