Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Paycheck Drama Continues

Okay, so I know y'all don't actually care about this, but it does, in its way, make for a good story, and I'm still flummoxed by GF's reference to "British efficiency."

So on Monday I asked the Institute to stop payment on my check and issue me a knew one. This would take ten days, but since Royal Mail's online tracking said the envelope had been in JFK airport for more than a week, I figured we might as well get the ball rolling.

As anyone would have predicted, the very next day the check was deposited in my account. Of course. That would be twelve days after I mailed it, and seven days after the other checks that I mailed at the very same instant (with much less postage) arrived safely.

Now, mind you that Royal Mail is telling me, even today, that the envelope in still in New York. This, it seems is a lie. Who can I blame for this?

I can console myself that I wasn't actually getting charged $23 a day. I was only getting charged $23 per check -- there were only two of them, paid out on consecutive days. The thing is, I really don't know if the check was deposited before the stop-payment order came through or not. And I don't know if this makes a difference. It appears that there is a hold on the check, but this is normal for large deposits, and some of the money is available now.

Aren't you all so fascinated by my paycheck drama? Sure you are!

Tomorrow: video art by a member of Kraftwerk, projected on an IMAX screen. And I wait in line at the (sigh...) Genius Bar. The Sonnambula note will be late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home