Friday, January 28, 2005

Drunken Adventures

Okay, so the title of this post was just to get the attention a certain Berkeley library staff member who requested less quotidian slice of life entries and more sloppy drunken adventure entries. Jeez, he was an flight attendant; he was leaving for Melbourne in the morning; I had injested four cans of Red Stripe and some shots... what more do you need to know? You can make up the details for youself.

In any case, this was a week of blowing things off. Last Friday, my visit to the RAF Club to hear Morty's wacky "observational humor" meant that I blew off a musicology symposium at the RAM called "Verdi in the Victorian Parlour" lead by Roberta Marvin, which I was a little upset about, but not much. Then this last Tuesday I missed the self-same professor Marvin give a talk at Royal Holloway in Egham, because I was so worried about getting my goddam book review finished. I had already decided to blow off the Oxford musicolgy colloquium that Tuesday, so now the blown-off musicology colloquia were piling up. Oh and Monday I decided to blow off the IHR seminar (topic: Muzio "I could care less" Clementi), most because the next time I go I promised the convenors that I would go to dinner with them, and, while this will not be horrible, I'd just as soon put it off. That evening I went to dinner (Belgian mussels and fries) with new friend, literature post-doc "R." Wednesday the review still hadn't been submitted, and I had to spend the morning in the archive, so that night I blew off the Cambridge musicology coloquium. That's a total of five (5) musicology talks which I have not heard this week. And no drunken adventures.

My sister arrived yesterday. She is sleeping now. She just woke up and asked why I hadn't woken her up. I had no answer to this question.

But the review got submitted, under the wire I think, although the editor hasn't actually confirmed that. The question for the readers of Greg's London Ramblings for the day is this: I am about to publish an essay in which I call a famous, living composer a "sexist." (In fact, I believe him to be a misogynist, although I do not use that word.) This essay will be published on the web. Should I be concerned?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"sexist?" depends on if it's deserved. sounds like it's definitely deserved. oooh. and i know who the sexy berkeley librarian is! tell "B" that "N" says "hi." wink. wink.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home