Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I Saw a Crappy Movie

Hey Folks. I saw Asia Argento's The Heart is Decietful Above All Things. It was crap! It was really, really crap! I guess that I, againt all rational thought, actually had high expectations. I thought it might at least be, y'know, stylish. But regardless of what anyone might have expected, this was lazy, sloppy, superficial filmmaking in the first degree. I should write a more elaborate description of its failings, but (1) I don't have time right now and (2) I'd prefer to just ignore it.

Some of you may know my minor obsession with the idea that J.T. LeRoy is a total fraud, a fake, an elaborate hoax. Well, he was in attendance, and his public appearance at the screening only confirmed my suspicions. Fake! Fake! Fake! Which would be, y'know, sort of interesting, if the reception of his books didn't rest so squarely on the implicit claim that the books reflect something that actually happened to him. This makes the fact that he turns actual human suffering and class-based injustice into an absurd cartoon that more irritating.

Yesterday it suddenly occurred to me to look up Garcia in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. And... it's riddled with errors. Hardly a paragraph of the entry goes by without some glaring factual inaccuracy. Most distressingly, it completely neglects to mention that he had a second marriage and two (or perhaps three) children by his second wife.

Yesterday I also threw Male Subjectivity on the Margins against the wall, becuase it was frustrating me.

It is Wednesday, and I am filled with hate.

(Oh and speaking of hate, our intrepid correspondent in New Haven (see link to the right) has finally started posting more regularly. Although I still have some problems with his Kosman critique, his blog is definitely worth reading. Bookmark it today!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, Greg! I read your JT Leroy bashing and could not agree more! Sarah was a complete waste of my time and anytime I read about him I get so mad. He's a terrible writer, and I am not surprised that the movie sucked.
Yes, I am mean.
No, I am never sorry about it.
Yet another reason why we're friends, I guess. Rachel

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home