Thursday, July 21, 2005

First as tragedy, then as farce

Once again, I'm fine.

Except this time I was(-slash-am) stuck in central London. I had come into town to wait in line at the Apple Store Genius Bar. I was told there were no more appointments today, which I sort of expected (I'd intended to get there at 9am, but got, um, delayed.) So to console myself for not getting my damn laptop battery fixed, I decided to walk through Selfridges. I came this close (gesturing with thumb and forefinger) to buying a pair of lemon yellow Marc Jacobs trousers for £30. In any case, there was a beep over the P.A., and then the music stopped. All the music, all over the store. That was what told me that something had happened.

I heard various people on cell phones muttering something about bombs, and I saw little clutches of employees muttering among themselves. When I left the store, Oxford street was swamped -- although this isn't entirely unusual. I called J—, which whom I planned to go to this IMAX Kraftwerk thing tonight. She told me what the online newspapers were saying.

My first impulse was, of course, to get online. I started hiking the BL, where I have wireless internet access. By the time I got to Tottenham Court Road, I decided it would be better to buy airtime in my nearest Starbucks, from which I write you now. Thank you, T-Mobile Hotspot!

Why is this Starbucks coffee so bad?

More soon...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe this, just woke up to the news and honestly thought they were talking about the last time...

So glad you're okay i can't even say. I am also so glad you didn't get the Marc Jacob trousers, lemon yellow is no one's color.

So, um, i'm, uh, coming to VISIT?!?! However, I'm not getting on the tube, that's IT. Yes, I'm letting the bastards win in this case. Besides, I've been to London in the summer and it's stinky in there. I'm gonna start working out because I'm doing London on foot, baby. If you don't want to join me I'll just meet you wherever and leave an hour early. They can bomb me as I walk but at least I won't have to walk up the escalator if I survive.

By the way, have I told you lately that I love you? 'Cause I love you. And I wish I could explain the extra-bitter taste of Starbucks coffee but it's beyond me. If they're making house coffee with type of beans that come packaged with a bear on the front, that's your best bet right there.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Grrg said...

I have a better idea, KT -- why don't you pay for my taxi everywhere? Because I'm worth it.

I hope y'all are reading the Londonist, by the way... In the middle of all the suicide-bomber INSANITY, you get to read what I think about the lastest Vilar developments. Including a secret musicology in-joke! Because I'M SO FUCKING RELEVANT. Sigh...

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I support the lemon yellow MJ trousers!
BF

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there beautiful,

I am very happy and relieved
that you survived the blasts:0
again:)

Congratulations on everything
you have made for yourself there - sounds as if you are thriving young man! Not that I ever had any doubts about you.

I hope we will see you on this
side again - and yes, for now,
i have found my garden.

I live in a converted barn on 2.5 acres with a creek in front and wildcat canyon behind. Fresh air, hawks and bats and bees and vegetables. Finally working on the permaculture potager garden. Ahhhhhhhh, the green life! And all within easy reach of San Francisco.

Feels nothing like the city to me and i am quite happy with that just now.

I do hope to be in better touch with you from now on.

With affection,
W

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never thought i'd say it, but--having just spent an awful seven minutes undoing the fly on a pair of margiela meta-jeans bought on clearance yesterday--some things may be on sale for a reason. then again, wearing yellow might reduce the odds of being mistakenly shot by cops. a

4:55 AM  
Blogger Grrg said...

This is officially the best comments thread ever.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home