Saturday, August 20, 2005

Groovin'

So I've never really done a "bloggish" thing like this, but David has passed, like a viral infection, the task of listing ten tracks I'm into right now. Other bloggercizing people I know have already done this, and (I admit) it was actually pretty interesting to read what they listed. Everyone seems to play fast and loose with the instructions, but I list them here regardless:

List ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.

1. The Chrysalid Requiem by Toby Twining. I'm only half joking when I say that I'm mad at everyone I know for not informing me of the existence of this piece three years ago when it was released. Seriously. Extended vocal techniques, weird gender stuff, catholic ritual... it's like he wrote this piece for me. Dear everyone I know: it's on iTunes. Buy it right now. The "Te decet hymnus" is worth the $9.99 on its own.

2. "I Have Had Singing" by Steven Stametz, perf. Chanticleer. See, here's where I utilize the "it doesn't matter if it's no good" clause. Because I know this isn't all that good. I woke up one morning, I think having dreamt about the first (and last) time I heard it, which was at a concert when I was in high school. I didn't even really know the title. Now I feeling like hearing it about once a day.

3. Concerto in Slendro by Lou Harrison. Sometimes you just need to listen to Concerto in Slendro. Frequently this happens on the train.

4. "Che, Tango, Che" by Astor Piazzola, sung by Milva, "Live at the Bouffes du Nord," 1984.

5. David Daniels singing "Tout Gai!" from the Ravel Chansons populaires grècques. It's sunny in London these days. When I'm in a particularly good mood, I might just start singing this in the street. Not too loudly, though.

6. Joni Mitchel, "The Last Time I Saw Richard." There was a paper about this song read at the last AMS. I didn't hear it. Could do this in karaoke, I ask myself?

7. "Father Knickerpopper," Chubby Checker.

8. "Mr. Dabada," Jean Carlos. Thanks a million, Pinkyring, for getting this stuck in my head for days and days...

9. The Leçons de ténèbres by François Couperin, as performed by William Christie and Les Arts Florissants, sung by Sophie Daneman and Patricia Petibon. Eternally on heavy rotation chez Greg.

10. "Who is it," Björk.

Hmm... it seems that I am not listening to a lot of rock right now. This is a fairly recent development. I wonder why?

So, now I'm supposed to pass on the task to people. So... Tender-Flakey-Crispy-Bakey, 'Tasha-no-longer-in-Nepal, E in Jpn, Van Twee, and Rachel: y'all are it. (Well, if you want it....)

UPDATE! Jon, if you want, you should do like Pinkyring did and post 10 songs in the comments.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jusr because you mentioned me in your blog, I have decided to throw in my $0.02 with my current top 10 list.
1. Teenage Fanclub-It's All In My Mind
The first track from my favorite album of the year.

2. The Bees-These Are the Ghosts (Undead Version)
From an album emulating every style of music popular in the sixties. I like to think of this as their tribute to the Rotary Connection.

3. Disco D-Let's Hug It Out (Bitch)
A rad track from a rad NYC dj. "From a no talent pretty boy likeyourself?...I don't think so!"

4.Missy Elliot-Bad Man
It guest stars Vybez and M.I.A. need I say more?

5. Ladytron-Sugar
I love it when people imitate Sonic Youth.

6. Supergrass-St Petersburg
From the upcoming album.

7. Daft Punk-Technologic Peaches No Logic Remix
I love the way when Peaches does a remix she truly makes the song her own. When I have played it out, no one recognizes the song unless I play it back to back with the original mix.

8.Antonio Mairena-Solea De Alcala
Flamenco from it's inception from the 1930's! A garage sale find from Portland. Why anyone would sale this compilation, I do not know. Their loss definitely MY gain.

9. Jacques Brel-Mathilde
2005, for me has definitely been the year of Chanson, esp Brel. Though there has been A LOT of Jacques Dutronc and Serge Gainsbourg as well.

10. Der Plan-Deutsche Bleiche Mutter" (Malente's Murder mix)
More European electro pop to go along with the Jean Carlos mentioned in GB's blog.

Notable Mentions-M.I.A. Piracy mixes!, Royksopp-the Understanding, Bloc Party Remixes anything by Crazy Girl and anything by Larue

-Pinkyring

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home