Thursday, August 04, 2005

Bad things (and silver linings)

My computer is busted. Damn.

It's the exact same thing that happened a year and a half ago -- this "logic board" nonsense. It's been acting up since the day it got its new battery. What could the relationship be? To its credit, the logic board crash does look like a computer crash should look -- dramatic flashes, weird distortion, and then a slow fade to blue. Much superior to a simple freeze-up. I tried to go to the Apple Store today, but arrived too late to get an appointment. I may try again to go to Bluewater where the wait is shorter. We'll see.

It's too bad, really, because things were looking up. Most importantly, THE PICCADILLY LINE IS RUNNING AGAIN! Hallelujah.

I finished the Sonnambula note, which just needs one round of revision for it to be quite good. But it won't get that, since it's so late. And with the computer acting up, I had to send it typed into the body of an email. With no italics or diacritics. Can't you just smell the professionalism. Dammit.

I missed the Ravi Shankar concert. Daaammmit.

I got quoted in the Evening Standard, a horrible horrible right-wing populist newspaper. Here's a scan. I is so famous! (Unfortunately, they have quoted my saying the least witty thing I have ever said in my life. Seriously, I think when I ordered my coffee this morning I was actually more witty than that quotation. But we take what we can get, right? And how many people can claim that they are personally responsible for getting the phrase "butt-load" into the Evening Standard, hunh? Not many.

And so it goes. It's not so bad. I shall take this vacation from the computer to get my act together about the Wellcome library, the Royal Society thing, the next trip to France, etc etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home