Monday, October 24, 2005

Reader Mail!

Today on Greg's London Ramblings, we'll be answering some persistant questions from our loyal readers.

Q: Greg, are you going to the AMS conference?

A: No. The British government still has possession of my passport, I still don't have access to my money, my hotel plans fell through, etc. etc. etc. Also, with the extent to which I've bungled job applications so far, the AMS would be the source of humiliating questions.

Q: You bungled your job applications?

A: I'll tell you about it later.

Q: Greg, when are you coming back to California?

A: Well, this partly rests in the hands of the Home Office. If they say that they won't extend my visa, it could conceivably be fairly soon. But that won't happen. If all goes well, I will be leaving the UK on December 20. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to live with my sister for while, until after the AMS 50 deadline, and the deadline for abstracts for next year's conference. So I'll be in SF around January 16.

Q: Greg, are you depressed?

A: I don't think so. Then again, I called R— last week and he asked me how I was. I told him that I was disappointed in myself because of the job thing, I was still angry about the money situation, I have some boy problems. And R— says to me, exasperated, "where is all this guilt coming from?! You know what you sound like? You sound like a Texas housewife, barefoot and pregnant!" (R— is from Texas, you see.) But I'm fine bascially.

Q: Greg, why don't you reply to my emails?

A: I don't know. Because I'm a bad friend. Also, because sometimes I don't read my email, because if I haven't read it, then I can't feel guilty about not replying. Of course, then I feel more guilt when I do read the deferred message, and realize that it was time-sensitive all along.

Q: Greg, you have so much to do, why do manage to find time to write these Londonist things?

A: Shut up. Seriously, though, they don't take me very long - usually about an hour to write, and another hour to edit and format.

Q: Have you been to any good museums recently?

A: Yes. The Rembrant self-portrait at Kenwood House was one of the... purest aesthetic encounters I've ever had. The Estorick Collection was patchy, but fascinating. I think the Wallace Collection is overrated.

Q: How's the weather?

A: It been getting cold, but in a good way. Tender Crisp has recently expressed the same opinion. But now it's raining. And after we set the clocks back, it will be getting dark at 5 again. Not looking forward to that.

Q: Where should I go to find out your ex-boyfriend's opinions about opera singers?

A: Right here. Go read right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maury D'annato said...

Additional reader question: Will the fair city of New York see you on your way back West?

5:02 PM  
Blogger Grrg said...

Just since every gay blog on earth is required to either talk about Madonna this week, or talk about why they're not talking about Madonna... Did you see the video the premiered last night? Thighs like a horse! Ew!

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home